FLY Equity Scholarship Fund
At Firelight Yoga (FLY), we believe that everyone should have access to regular yoga practice, community, and training. The FLY Scholarship Fund supports the health and wellbeing of community members – regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, economic status, or other intersecting identities.
The FLY Equity Scholarship Fund is in support of:
- individuals who have experienced “otherness” in their community
- individuals who have not felt welcomed, or felt like they did not belong in wellness spaces
- individuals who are underrepresented in western yoga spaces (including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ and people with disabilities)
- individuals who do not have the financial means to attend classes or trainings
Firelight Yoga recognizes that Portland is located on land once settled predominately by Indigenous people. We also recognize the systemic inequality and complex history of displacing Black people in our state, city, and neighborhood. Our scholarship fund prioritizes applicants who identify as Black and Indigenous people of color (BIPOC), however all are welcome to apply.
What efforts support the FLY Equity Scholarship Fund?
- Studio fundraiser events
- Karma Yoga (the practice of giving back to the communities of which you are a part.) In its purest form – seva, or selfless service – it is an act of kindness and generosity that neither demands, nor expects, reciprocation.
Those who would like to contribute to the FLY Equity Scholarship Fund can do so in two ways:
- Make a donation via Venmo @firelightyoga with the caption “FLY Equity Scholarship”
- Become a Perennial Donor: Community members who contribute a recurring payment of $10 or $20/month, which may be canceled at any time by contacting us. Contact us if you’d like to contribute another amount of your choice on a monthly basis.
Types of scholarship awards
Studio Membership Application:
Scholarships are awarded twice per calendar year. (Applicants may apply once per calendar year.)
Awards cover 50-80% of the cost of membership for six months. Every six months, FLY will:
• award up to 3 FLY Unlimited memberships at $26/month (80% discount) for six months
• award up to 3 FLY Unlimited memberships at $65/month (50% discount) for six months
Following the 6 month scholarship period, applicants may continue membership for six more months at $99/month, (which is the discounted rate for students, teachers, seniors 65+, military service members and veterans. You do not need to fall into one of these categories for this rate as a FLY Equity Scholarship recipient, following your 6 month scholarship assistance.)
Fall Application period opens on September 1, 2023 and closes on September 15, 2023
(For studio membership October 1 through March 31)
Spring Application period opens on March 1, 2024 and closes on March 15, 2024
(For studio membership April 1 through September 30)
Notification emails will go out to recipients and non-recipients March 22-25
Teacher Training Application:
Scholarship awards for 200-hour and continuing education (CE) teacher trainings will be awarded as follows:
• One full scholarship (100%)
• One partial scholarship (50%)
• One waiver of the training deposit (approximately $350 for the 200-hr training only)
(Payment plans are available for the remaining balance)
Application period for our upcoming Sculpt CE training weekend opens on May 5 and closes on May 15